Thursday, September 9, 2010

Porridge

I've been reading about savory oatmeal in the fitness blog world for a while now, but I've been really hesitant to give it a try. Oatmeal is just something I associate with breakfast, and something that I think should be sweet.
However, I decided to try it when I read about savory oats topped with an egg. (I'll eat just about anything with an egg on top!)
Although the savory oats were sounding more and more appealing, my mind kept rebelling at the thought of non-sweet oatmeal. Finally, I had to tell myself "It's not oatmeal. It's porridge." Rebranding it that way let me approach my dish with an open mind and I'm glad I did. And of course, I was too busy stuffing my face to take a picture!
This recipe is 100% comfort food and I enjoyed it so much that I'll probably make some more for breakfast tomorrow!

2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup shredded cheese (approximately)
1/4 cup chopped tomato
2 sunny side up eggs
salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste

Bring milk to a boil and add oats. Simmer until milk is absorbed and oats are creamy. Top with cheese, salt, pepper, hot sauce, chopped tomato and eggs. Lament that you haven't tried this sooner. :)

I think that there are a lot of possible variations for this dish. You could add cottage cheese, goat cheese, salsa, nuts, beans, green onions, veggies, etc....

What's the strangest thing you've eaten that turned out to be surprisingly delicious?

4 comments:

  1. I tried the savory oats thing for breakfast this morning. I did it southwestern style, though--steel cut oats, cilantro, salsa, white cheese, light sour cream, and a fried egg. Delish! Can't wait to try more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. This might be replacing pasta (as a sort of polenta) in a lot of my Italian applications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I need to try it with steel cut oats. I don't cook them often because I am lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete