Thursday, January 3, 2013
A Real Maine Winter
I've been saying that after last winter's mildness, I've been ready to tackle a "real Maine winter" and so far, it looks like I might get my wish. After two blizzards over the course of a week and this current stretch of bright, sunny, freeeeeeeezing days, I have a few thoughts.
1) Rice bags are essential. The one I made last winter has become my security blanket- I nuke it for a few minutes, then take it to bed every night. So toasty! (Benjy complains that it smells like cream of wheat, but that's a small price to pay.)
2) Winter isn't so bad until I have to move my car. I've had two instances where it's taken about 20 minutes and the help of either friendly neighbors or Benjy to shovel and rock my way out of on-street parking. It's waaaay easier to not go anywhere.
3) I've worn the same sweatpants and sweat shirt combo for several days in a row and I'm not ashamed.
4) Ski socks aren't just for skiing. After carefully stalking Smartwool sales, I now have a pair for every day of the week. Their socks are expensive, even when they're on sale, but my cost per use is infinitesimal at this point.
5) Fuzzy Slippers for Life! I splurged on a pair of L.L. Bean Wicked Good Slippers this year so I can wear my aging fleece lined Minnetonka Mocs as airport shoes.
6) Just like last year, my urge to cook hearty food and not exercise is back in full force. It doesn't help that my gym membership expired. I definitely need to work up the motivation to move around more- if only so I can justify all the stew I've been devouring.
Anyone have any good cold weather tips?