Sunday, March 20, 2011

Love in a Cold Climate

I meant to blog about Match Day prior to the actual day because I was really nervous and full of deep thoughts about what the future might hold. Of course, I suck at writing about anything remotely meaningful, so that post didn't happen.
What did happen, however, is that on Match Day, my darling fiance matched into his first choice for residency! We're moving to Portland, Maine!!!
Despite living exclusively in the deep South, I've always had an odd fascination with New England. I can't wait to live there and I'm tuning out all the mocking I've been getting that starts with "wait until your first winter...."
Planning for a big move adds all sorts of additional complications to the craziness that's been going on (even though it's not entirely unexpected since there was only one residency darling fiance could apply to in New Orleans and 13 spots on his rank list), but hopefully I'll be able to juggle it all. We have basically zero details worked out at this point, but I'm sure I'll be blogging more about the move as it gets closer.
Leaving New Orleans will be incredibly bittersweet because I have a great job and great friends here. I also truly love the city and enjoy being fairly close to my family. However, my life is only going to get less portable and I feel like I'm at a "now or never" point in terms of having a big adventure.
Other notable things that took place this week included getting our marriage license and my bachelorette party. My darling fiance and I had to go downtown to get our license, so afterward we took advantage of Happy Hour at Domenica and had some half off pizzas and cocktails. My pizza had garlic, oregano and clams, and his had roast pork shoulder, fennel, and apples. Both were outstanding!
My bachelorette party was on Saturday. First my friends took me to tea that Ritz. Then we got cocktails at the Hotel Monteleone's Carousel Bar, and then we went back to my friend Sarah's house for a lingerie shower! Finally, we went to dinner at Slice. It was a fun day that didn't end with me dancing on a table (my main request) so I'm calling it a win. :)
Today was a pretty slow catch up day. I did laundry, helped tidy the house, bought groceries, and roasted a chicken. As usual, I wish the weekend wasn't over so soon!

Of all the places you've lived, which one was/is your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. As a former Connecticut Yankee, I promise you'll love New England. Not a day goes by that I don't miss it! You'll get all four seasons, fall is amazing, and the winters aren't terrible - just right, in fact. There is so much to do and so much history, and it's all an easy drive away. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting - I'm so happy for you!

    My favorite place that I've lived is definitely Oxford, England. There really is something magical about it, and it wasn't just because of Steven. :) I felt like I was living in Brideshead Revisited or that I'd bump into Oscar Wilde when I turned a corner. It also didn't hurt that it has beautiful architecture, parks, and weather, and that it is such a perfect pedestrian city. I would move back there in a second.

    ReplyDelete