Monday, March 22, 2010

A lot to catch up on

Sorry I haven't written in so long! I've been a busy busy girl!
On the vegetables front, I have to say that I have completely fallen off of the 5 a day wagon. I had good intentions but at the end of the day, I just don't like snacking on raw veggies in the afternoon, and weekend spontaneity and rigid resolutions don't mix. So let's just file this under "reasons Shelly can never be a vegetarian" and not speak of it again.
As for fitness, I tried two new things last week. On Tuesday I took a spinning class and since there weren't that many people at the Pilates studio on Wed. (due to St. Patrick's Day, I'm sure), our class got to do a half mat/half reformer machine class. Both spinning and Pilates reformers were intense. I actually ended up having a good bit of pain in my left hip (from the reformer, I think) so I think I will be skipping Pilates this week. I'm doing well with my running and feel 100% prepared for the Crescent City Classic because I ran 6 miles last weekend. This weekend I ran 4 and walked an additional 1.5 on Friday with my running buddy Margee, then ran 5 and walked an additional mile with my friend Gretchen on Sunday. I am really proud of Gretchen because I talked her into signing up for the classic and she did great during our run yesterday!
Socially, I have been out and about more often than not. Last weekend I went to the St. Patrick's Day Parade and my friend Sarah R's birthday party on Saturday and to a bridal show at Ralph's on the Park on Sunday. The bridal show was very nice and, unsurprisingly, my favorite vendor was the man giving out samples of Champagne. I got to try Dom Perignon, Veuve Clicquot Rose, and Ruinart, which is really really good!
On Monday, my wedding dress came in, so I used my lunch hour to go pick it up. So exciting!! (And I'll get to wear it in just under 13 months- wee!) I also went to my friend Sarah T's house for an early St. Patrick's Day potluck dinner full of green food. (I brought sprite and lime sherbet floats for dessert.)
On Thursday, I attended a cocktails and canapes event at the Bourbon House.
On Friday, we went to the Hi Ho Lounge and saw both Debauche the Russian Mafia Band, and Slow Burn Burlesque. I'd never seen a burlesque show before, but I really enjoyed it.
On Saturdaym my darling fiance and I went to the local French/English bilingual school's Fete Francaise and then to a fundraiser for the Southern Rep Theater that featured music from Kermit Ruffins and Trombone Shorty, lots of really good food (including a whole roast pig filled with jambalaya) and a silent auction. I bid on and won a necklace from Symmetry Jewelers (the same jewelers who made my engagement ring). It's really pretty- a crescent moon and stars formed into a silver circle.
On Sunday, I ran with Gretchen, then tried to go to Hancock Fabrics with my friend Sarah L, but the store was closed due to a parade in Metairie. So we got ice cream instead. After that I volunteered at the Poydras Home (I called bingo- it was so much fun!), then got our groceries for the week. We ended the weekend by grilling salmon, chicken sausage, bbq chicken (the latter two meats are for us to eat this week), a halved artichoke, and roasted garlic bread. It was a great dinner!
Tonight I have bookclub and tomorrow I have a board meeting for my Theta Alum club.
And I am officially tired from just typing all this!!
BUT I still have some really great stuff to talk about- I just think I'll put it in a separate post because this one is getting long!
Check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment