Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Party Planning


Yesterday I mailed out the invitations to my yearly Christmas party which means it's time to start thinking about what I'm going to make this year!
Food I'm going to carry over from last year includes Baked Brie, Cranberry and Blue Cheese stuffed Endive, Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts (always a hit), and Rotel Dip (everyone LOVED this last year).
Additionally, I want to make meringues and either rosemary chocolate chip shortbread or Scottish shortbread for my sweets because they are all easy and can be made a couple days in advance. I also want to get a veggie tray. I enjoyed having pickled veggies last year, but I enjoyed a veggie tray at a Mardi Gras ball even more- so I think that's what I'll get this year. I'd also like to do some sort of bruschetta but I haven't decided what kind yet. Maybe fig and caramelized onion? I also think that this Beluga Lentil Crostini looks amazing but am not sure it would be a crowd pleaser... Cheese twists might be a fun way to use up the rest of my puff pastry left over from the Brie...

As usual, my darling fiance will be in charge of the drinks. I've had one request for Brandy Milk Punch already, and I don't think it's a Christmas party without a Poinsettia Cocktail- but the rest is up to him!

Do you like to host parties? I love to cook for a party, but I get stressed out by all the cleaning and preparations before hand- so one big party a year is perfect for me!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I agree with you about the stress of cleaning & prepping but once everyone arrives it always feels worth it. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I made bacon-wrapped water chestnuts was my house warming for my old apartment. The oven there heated itself 110 degrees above what you set it to and I discovered this by absolutely torching the water chestnuts. After that disaster, I have been hesitant to make them.
    I also find that off-beat dishes intimidate my friends. Gouda Wellingtons and winter vegetable pot pies confuse and enrage them and sit untouched until 2 or 3 slice are gone and my guest realize that they're not decorative pieces. They'd be happier with a plate of cookies and deviled eggs. Well, it's not about them, is it? It's about what I want to make, so eff them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, people definitely flock for the stuff involving bacon or sausage long before they'll even think about trying the endive- but it's not fun for me to make all boring food!
    The first year we had a Christmas party I made gougeres (basically you add lots of cheese to cream puff dough- they're delicious) and no one ate them because they thought they were biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to compliment you on your beautiful tree until I thought that pic looked suspiciously similiar to one I'd seen in Better Homes and Gardens. ;) I loved hosting parties in Japan. I had all kinds of time and all kinds of friends around, and I was known in that circle as the one who could COOK. I particularly loved hosting brunch, and my friends particularly loved my grits. :) Alas, I just haven't met that many folks around here yet. My parents are coming out for Christmas and, bless their hearts, they're going to have to bear the brunt of my hostessing backlog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I linked to your blog today.
    2. Please come host a party at my house so I don't have to cook for my huge family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link! And it's not the cooking I mind- I hate the cleaning beforehand and then again afterward! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Lauri! You'll have to tell me what the transition to wife of a resident is like since I'm going to be in that position myself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...the transition back to me working full time after not working for well over 2 years was harder! The most aggravating part is the erratic work schedule. Not knowing month to month what days (or nights) he'll be working makes it difficult to plan anything. He only gets 1 day off a week. He works 12 hour shifts, which means he leaves 1 1/2 hours before his shift starts and comes home anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours after it ends, depending on if he had to pick up a patient towards the end. So, he's basically tired all the time. I keep telling myself it's temporary. :) Of course, this is all ER. Is that what DF settled on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep! Benjy has settled on ER as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure that Rich would be happy to share his wisdom. :) He actually really likes his program. The hours are killer, but he sees tons of really sick people, which is great training. Any chance you guys are relocating to Vegas???

    ReplyDelete