Monday, April 6, 2009

Speed Racer

I am getting really excited about running in the Crescent City Classic next weekend. Its supposed to be a really fun event, and I am very proud of myself for the time and effort I've put into training for this race. Before this year, I had never run more than 3 miles, and that was just a couple of times in high school. When I ran, it was usually a 2 mile run. Now I can run 10K (which is 6 miles). Knowing that I can do that makes me feel really strong!
When I signed up for the race, I expected to be able to run it (after months of training) in an hour and 15 minutes. My dear boyfriend and I ran our 10K yesterday in 58 minutes! I am really happy that I'm so much faster than I anticipated.
And of course, a large part of my personality revolves around setting a goal and meeting it. I love that I'm about to meet another goal that I've set for myself. :)
What does the future hold for my running? Well, I'd like to keep it up as much as I can through the summer (and beyond)- given the weather, this means running early in the morning or late in the evening. I will admit I'm not particularly attached to running a 10K again. I've happily run as far as 7K and still felt pretty good, but I haven't gotten past the point of needing to lay around the house for the rest of the day after I run a 10K. It is really hard on me. I have so much respect for people who can run half and full marathons. That's just amazing!!
On the plus side, I've really grown to love a good 5K run. I think I may bump my minimum run up to 5K (after the race, that is- I think I'm supposed to take it fairly easy this week). I feel really energized after a run of that length. I've also gotten to the point where I feel lousy if I don't get enough exercise. That makes it so much easier to exercise and to actually look forward to working out, so I'm hoping I can hold on to that feeling! I've been working out about 6 days a week for over a month now, and I'm amazed at how easy its actually been to keep up (previously, I was working out about 3 times a week). I definitely want to continue this trend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment