Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Slacking


So I have literally run twice in 2010. The first run was probably around 2 miles, and followed by some time spent at the gym. The second was a respectable 7.5 miles (I was trying to see how far I could go- I guessed 8 and was slightly wrong) but that was the weekend before last (I have no excuse for not running this weekend except that I spent all day Sunday cleaning my house, which needed to be done).
I was supposed to run yesterday but my running buddy canceled so I went to the gym and did half an hour on the treadmill. It wasn't running though- it was power walking at a 15% incline and just b/c I'm crazy, a pace of 6 km/hr (normally I do this workout at 4 km/hr). It is some serious cardio, but it is not a run.
I've been great about going to the gym around 4 days a week, so my exercise habit is not suffering, but I'm pretty sure my running is. The problem is that it is dark when I get up and dark when I get home from work and that just sucks for running in the city. I won't run by myself in New Orleans, first of all, and thanks to my schedule I've been getting home fairly late- and I just feel better meeting my running buddy at the gym or going by myself if she can't make it.
I'm planning to run the 10K portion of The Wall this Sunday, but I accidentally waited too long to register online so I'll have to do a race day registration. I need to get with the program and get back on the road! Of course, the days are getting longer, and I'm also supposed to run tomorrow evening, so hopefully I'll get back in the habit soon.
In other odds and ends, I tried cooking a turkey "tenderloin" for the first time last night. I rubbed it with olive oil, then seasoned it with garlic, rosemary, and pepper before baking it. It was good. It was also approximately the size of two chicken breasts- but was a bit more flavorful and tender than chicken breasts are to me. My darling fiance thought that it seemed awfully plump for a turkey breast though, so I'm not sure that my turkey wasn't on steroids before he became my dinner. All in all, it was pretty good.
It was also an excellent excuse to make cranberry sauce! We had frozen cranberries in the freezer so I cooked them down with about 1/2 cup of orange juice, 1/4 cup of port, and agave nectar to taste (maybe a TBSP or so b/c I like my sauce tart). Once I boiled this for a while, it gelled up nicely and was excellent on the turkey. I also had leftover cranberry sauce on top of laughing cow cheese and triscuits (rosemary and olive oil triscuits, to be precise) this afternoon. It was an excellent snack!
I recently came across some sights that have cute dresses that are much less heartbreakingly expensive than Anthropologie, so I thought I'd pass them on. I've so far managed to avoid buying anything from them, but it's really just a matter of time- Lulus, Mod Cloth, and Ruche.
On the home front, Pancake is wearing a cone (and has been for over a week) because he keeps licking a sore spot on his front leg and has basically licked all the fur and skin off b/c he's "overcleaning" that spot. The spot is almost gone, but we aren't taking the cone off until there is nothing left to lick.
The good news is that Pancake and Homer actually hang out and play with each other now. We were worried that Homer would hate Pancake and do nothing but attack him, so we're thrilled that they're friends. The picture above shows them being besties and chilling out on the bed with their toy. :)
The dogs get along well with both cats- actually they let the cats boss them around. This is not necessarily a good thing b/c they let Pancake chase them away and steal their food. Now I'm feeding the dogs in several small batches all evening long so they can get their food and eat it before Pancake comes and gets it b/c I'm pretty sure dog food is really bad for cats.

8 comments:

  1. Why oh why did I click on your links? Just placed an order with ModCloth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say you are slacking since you are already running in 2011! ; ) love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha oops! Thanks for catching that. I'm gonna fix it! Maybe I'm just over eager for it to be 2011! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Lauri, what did you order? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses/Floral/Preservation+Society+Dress+in+Peony), for which I will need some lavender pumps and white lace gloves (wink wink), and (http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Cabin+Fever+Sale/Sale+Dresses/The+Rose+Mc+Gown+Maxi) this one, because at that price I couldn't resist. Another one got bought out from under me before I could check out with it. I wish I had a spare 3 grand or so, I could do some serious damage with some of those upper echelon dresses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I'm such a bad influence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Mod Cloth! so cute!

    I think that as the days get longer, you'll find more time to run in the evenings. Even with just the slight changes, I've been finding time to power walk with the wee one before it gets dark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be eager, too, if 2011 were my wedding year!!!! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete