Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Grainy Goodness

I forgot that I also wanted to blog about the star ingredient in my lunches this week. I recently found the blog 101 Cookbooks and I am completely obsessed. All of the recipes are vegetarian, but I kind of love vegetarian recipes- you can always serve them with meat on the side.
First, early last week I made a delicious variation of her Tabasco and asparagus quinoa- I used fresh, blanched green beans instead of asparagus, omitted the creme fraiche, and topped it with almonds instead of pine nuts. (I served this along side turkey sausage.) The sauce- basically a combination of hot sauce, butter, mustard, and lemon juice, was excellent, and I can see it being great over brown rice or barley as well as quinoa.
On Sunday, I made a big pot of Grandma's Grains, another recipe I'd been drooling over. It makes a big pot of whole grains that is very adaptable. Yesterday, I topped it with canned white beans, pepper, fresh basil and lemon zest. It was great- simple, creamy, and comforting. My lunch today is very similar- but I've added some tomato sauce leftover from Saturday night's pizza.
I'm not sure how I'm going to use the grains next. I'm torn between mixing them with yogurt, maple syrup, and walnuts; adding them to a mushroom casserole; or topping them with tomato, avocado, and roasted poblano pepper. Yum!!

2 comments:

  1. I cant' believe you didn't already know about 101 Cookbooks! That's like the original cooking blog and the pictures are gorgeous! Well, you've found them now. You and my hubby should hang out--you could talk food together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know I'm so late to the game- she's clearly been around forever! I was also somewhat late in discovering Smitten Kitchen- but at least I've been obsessed with Simply Recipes for years. :)

    ReplyDelete