Friday, August 6, 2010

Pixie

Emma Watson and her adorable new pixie cut are killing me. I am currently growing out my hair for the wedding and it has been a rocky road. I'm finally past the dreaded "awkward length" but my layers are never quite right and I just don't feel like myself with long hair. It's convenient b/c I don't have to style it (just blow dry and go) and there is always the option of a pony tail, but my short (bobbed, not pixied) hair was also convenient because it took no time at all to dry and although I did have to flat iron it, that only took about a minute. At this point, I'm definitely keeping the hair long for the wedding (b/c I've put too much work into growing it out!) but I'm looking forward to chopping it off, most likely back to a bob, when I get back from my honeymoon!I pretty much lack the guts to cut my hair into a pixie for a number of reasons. I had a pixie cut when I was in 8th grade and while I personally adored it, the thought is stuck in my head that it contributed to my lack of success with guys all through high school- long after the cut grew out. Also, I know my darling fiance prefers that I not get a pixie cut. (He sort of gave me permission once, but I don't think he'd like it at all if I cut my hair like that.) I know it's my hair and I can do what I want with it, but I want to be considerate of his feelings. Especially since I threw a fit when he completely shaved off his sideburns and he was totally great about it and immediately grew them back in for me. :) And finally, I suspect that the reason I love pixie cuts is that I see pictures of them on the few people on earth who look beautiful in them. And while I do have tiny features that are best suited to short hair, I'm afraid that my features are not lovely enough to pull off such short hair. So I will just admire the pixie cut from afar and, apparently, write a blog post about it.Is there anything you want to do with your hair but are scared to do?
I used to be afraid of going blond, but now that I am blond, I love it and have never looked back! And I also used to have pink streaks in the underside of my hair (pre- real world job) that I really liked once I worked up the nerve to get them.

7 comments:

  1. short hair sometimes is good but long is better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I think it's pretty subjective. For me, fine hair (that is also color treated and therefore a little damaged) and small facial features means that short, shiny, hair works a lot better than long dull hair that just hangs there and covers up my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love short, short hair. Absolutely love it. I usually have it, but I'm doing this stupid growing out thing right now, with a chin length asymmetrical bob, for what reason... I don't know. Mostly because I wanted to see if it would be cute while cutting down on the frequency of my salon visits (and because once upon a time, I wore it that way and loved it). While it has cut down on the maintenance visits, it's really not cute. I need to go back to shortie shortsalot.

    As for being afraid to do anything... I think the only thing I'm truly afraid to do is shave it. I've had blackest blue black, green, purple, red, auburn, sunrise gradient, bleached, you name it. Right now, I'd be content with just covering the grey. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love short hair on OTHERS. I did my first and only short hair experiment this winter and discovered that my hair is way too thick. It was barely chin length; then it grew straight out of my head onto a ball of hair that encompasses my shoulders. Yeah. So there have been lots of ponytails lately.
    I think you'd totally rock the last cuts, with the side sweep. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to grow my hair out too, but when your hair is curly, it's like watching paint dry. Takes forever to gain any ground. I have thought about going blonder, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy I think some blond highlights would look gorgeous in your curls. And blond, in my experience isn't too difficult to dye over if you don't like it (I used to have blond highlights sporadically in college). The issue is if you are blond, decide to go dark, then go blond again soon afer, it can be damaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lurve the idea of super short cuts, and I think my hair would love it, too--nothing gives baby-fine hair the illusion of thickness like no weight on it. Unfortunately, the high cheekbones, square jaw and (let's call it baby) fat just can't support it!

    ReplyDelete