Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quote of the Day

"Try to remember, 10 years from now, when you're second guessing this decision that you made, that you made the very best decision that you could make on this day with the information that you had today. As the years go by, you'll have more information and you might wish that you had done things differently. But just don't forget that on the day that you had to make the choice you didn't know and you only knew what you have now. Don't abuse yourself later for what you didn't know now."

(From Elizabeth Gilbert's mom, in this article on Jezebel.com)

I am really prone to blaming myself for things that are beyond my control and second guessing the decisions I have made, which I suppose comes from having a lot of memories that, frankly, make me sad. I'm pretty good about not dwelling on them in my day to day life- but I'm not very good at forgiving myself. This is a good reminder for me that I can't blame myself for not knowing what would happen in the future.
This quote is from a nurse who worked at Planned Parenthood in the 70's, but I agree with Jezebel when they say that it is applies to all of life's decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment